Translate

Friday, April 15, 2016

Metzora

After describing the symptoms of tzaraas and the role of the Kohen in determining the status of the affliction, the Torah goes on to delineate the purification process. זאת תהיה תורת המצרע, this shall be the law of the metzora, והובא אל הכהן, he shall be brought to the Kohen. 

Based on the words תורת המצרע , our sages teach that Torah study has the power to help heal the tzaraas. Explains the Simchas  ‎Aaron, for one who truly  studies Torah catches a small glimpse of Hashem’s infinite greatness & cannot help but be humbled. This person will then refrain from speaking about others for he will no longer view himself as superior to them.

The words והובא אל הכהן , he shall be brought to the Kohen, says the Chafetz Chaim, shows us that the healing of the metzora is not through a doctor, rather it's only through the Kohen. Since tzaraas comes from the sin of lashon hara, the remedy has to come through the one who is supposed to teach us Torah, the Kohen. The only way that the metzora gets healed is if the kohen says טהור, pure, for when the metzora sees that the power of his evil speech which got him into this mess can only be remedied by the kohen pronouncing him pure, he will realize that life & death are in the power of the tongue. 

‎I heard a story from Rabbi David Ashear that exemplifies this concept that life & death are in the power of the tongue. Rabbi Elimelech Biderman told a story about Rabbi Yosef Palech, from Kiryat Harim Levine, who gave a Gemara shiur to a small group every night in Tel Aviv. The participants were extremely committed to the class. However, one night the weather was so bad, Rabbi Palech was the only one who showed up. The Rabbi had been giving this shiur for years, without missing a single night, and he didn't want to start now. He went out to the street in an attempt to find someone to teach. However, nobody was outside. He said, "Please Hashem, help me find someone." He crossed the street and approached an unkempt house that bore a Mezuzah and knocked on the door. A man who was clearly not observant opened the door, exposing the foul-smelling, untidy interior. Nevertheless, the Rabbi politely asked, "I was wondering whether you would be interested in learning Torah with me tonight."
The man opened his eyes wide and tearfully shouted, "Who brought you here? Come in!" The man began to cry, telling the Rabbi his life story. "After the war, I was a lone holocaust survivor. I wanted nothing more to do with Judaism or Hashem. My life has been one long chain of misery. I have nothing in this world. No wife. No family. No money. Nothing."
He then pointed to the ceiling where a rope was dangling. "Tonight, I was ready to put an end to my misery. Before I took this drastic step, I cried out, 'God in heaven, if You are here with me and You really want me, show me that You need me and I will come back to You.' Since the day I moved into this house, no one has ever knocked on my door. Just moments ago, when I finished my prayer, you came. Yes, I want to come learn with you tonight, Rabbi. Please guide me back to Hashem."

A man on the verge of suicide, a rabbi looking for someone to teach, both offering a a prayer to Hashem. The man opened his mouth, talked to Hashem & Hashem sent the rabbi to offer a kind word that would save his life. We never know what our words can do’ how far reaching a simple word can be. Let's take the lesson of the metzora & make sure to use our words wisely so that the power of our tongue is used to bring life!


No comments:

Post a Comment