Translate

Friday, July 17, 2015

Matos Masei


The second of the double sedra we read this week tells us about the entire journey of the Jews from Egypt until they were about to enter the land of Israel ‎. אלה מסעי בני ישראל , these are the journeys of the Jewish people. 

‎Rashi explains the reason for mentioning all the different stops along the way is to show the kindness of Hashem.  Even though it was decreed that the Jews wander in the desert for forty years, one should not think that they wandered constantly without any peace. Out of a total of forty two journeys, fourteen were in the first year before the decree & eight were in the last year so in thirty eight years there were only twenty journeys . Another way to look at it is like a king whose son was sick. They had to make a long journey to get him healed, so on the way back the father counts all the stops they made along the way; here we slept, here it was cold, here your head hurt etc. 

The סבא מקלם, in explaining the posuk by Bilam, 'וישם ה דבר בפי בלעם, that Hashem put the words in the mouth of Bilam.  How could He do that? What happened to Bilam's free will? The סבא מקלם answers that Hashem didn't take away his free will, rather he just opened his eyes to the greatness of the Jewish people. Then, he didn't want to curse them anymore & spoke of their praises instead. 

Later on the Torah tells us to prepare cities of refuge for the unintentional murderer. This mitzva shows us that we have to address the needs of all people, even those that we feel are ethically & morally inferior, because Hashem loves all His people.  Even when the Jews sinned in the desert or when someone killed unintentionally, Hashem still finds ways to help & care for them. 

The following story shows how great men can differentiate between criticizing the actions of sinners & the need to care for them. This story was repeated by a prominent member of the Zionist Organization: In the early 20's, when the struggle between the Zionists & the Agudah, led by Reb Yosef Chaim Sonnenfeld was at its peak, one of the leaders of the Zionists who was known for his antireligious attacks, became critically ill. After four weeks in the missionary hospital, the doctors gave up hope. 

The prominent member continued, “I was asked to think of a way to save him, so I advised them to transfer him to Shaarei Zedek hospital. However, when we brought the patient in, Dr Wallach heard that he came from the Missionary hospital and refused to admit him. After much deliberation, we concluded that Reb Sonnenfeld would be the only person who could influence the Dr. Since I had connections in the religious community through my father who was a famous talmid chacham, I was elected to go to Reb Sonnenfeld. 

I ran to Battei Machseh. On the way, a terrific thunderstorm hit, so when I arrived at the Rabbi\'s house I was drenched & shivering. I knew that he was upset with me for casting my lot with the Zionists, ‎yet he still received me warmly. I told him the whole story including the name of the patient & asked him to write a letter to the doctor requesting him to admit my friend into the hospital. As soon as I finished speaking, the Rabbi got up & started to put on his coat. I said you don't need to come out in this weather; just give me a letter which will be enough. R' Yosef Chaim's response was unequivocal and emphatic: when a Jewish life is in danger, a letter is not enough. I must personally fulfill this great Mitzva! 

‎Through the torrential rains we went, finally arriving at the hospital. Immediately, the rabbi was through the door with me trailing behind. When I finally caught up to him at the doctor's office, I heard him say, 'Since when is the doctor an authority on the laws of saving a Jewish life? Admit this patient immediately!        

The impossible occurred so that two weeks later, my friend recovered & was released from the hospital. Knowing the tense relationship between Reb Sonnenfeld & my friend, I didn't tell him who was responsible for his recovery. A while later, my friend was giving a speech about the lofty aims of Zionism & ended by shouting, ‘we will build this land in our own way, fighting to the death against the black arm of Reb Sonnenfeld & his followers!’ 

At this point, I lost control & stood up & shouted at him, “How dare you speak like that! Show some respect for the man who saved your life!”  My friend was shocked into silence.  I took the podium & explained to all how the 'black hand of Reb Yosef Chaim Sonnenfeld’ had interceded to save the life of the one who had vowed to destroy him'.     

This teaches us a major lesson. We have to treat every Jew, no matter what, with understanding and reverence. From Hashem being kind to us throughout the journeys, even though we sinned; as we see the Torah allowing concessions for the unintentional murderer; as Reb Yosef Chaim went out of his way for someone who was bent on destroying him; we, too, have to treat every Jew with kindness & respect no matter what!   



No comments:

Post a Comment